Recently, Ericsson released the white paper 5g and Wi Fi, pointing out that 5g and wi fi6 wireless technologies will play an important role in indoor connection in the future, and comparing their advantages and disadvantages.
It is worth noting that the white paper also compares the TCO of Wi Fi and cellular network, points out that the cost of Wi Fi connection is higher than that of cellular network, and concludes that “5g will play a more important role in future connection scenarios”.
Each has its own advantages
Advantages of 5g
1) Working in the authorized spectrum of operators can provide better reliability and predictability, and can meet the communication needs of critical tasks.
2) 5g supports embB, mmtc (large scale connected Internet of things), critical IOT (mission critical Internet of things) and industrial TSN, and supports more use cases than Wi Fi.
3) 5g can support end-to-end QoS differentiation based on a single network.
4) 5g has a strict interoperability testing and certification process.
5) 5g can also offload traffic for non critical tasks through non authorized spectrum (nr-u).
6) 5g supports complete mobility and can provide wide area coverage and local coverage, while Wi Fi 6 is limited to local area coverage and can only support limited mobility.
7) 5g has an end-to-end specification covering the whole system architecture, while Wi Fi is mainly limited to layer 1 and layer 2.
8) 5g supports low, medium and high frequency bands. It can achieve good coverage through low and medium frequency bands. It can also supplement capacity requirements through millimeter wave high frequency band, and achieve lower air port delay and higher precision indoor positioning. However, Wi Fi 6 only supports medium frequency band, and its bandwidth is limited. 9) Unlike Wi Fi 6, 5g provides end-to-end security and global identity management.
Advantages of Wi Fi 6:
1) Wi Fi 6 modems are cheaper than 5g modems.
2) Easier to deploy
3) Some operating systems, such as IOS 13, prefer Wi Fi because mobile phones always give priority to automatically connecting to nearby Wi Fi networks rather than cellular networks.
4) Wi Fi 6 (including nr-u) works in unlicensed spectrum, which is not limited by spectrum authorization and is available to everyone.